Saturday, May 17, 2008

97 years

Today would have been my great-grandma's 97th birthday. Thankfully I have been pretty busy and haven't cried over it too much. Her funeral service was Thursday and it really helped me to really feel confident that she was ready to go. My cousin Aubrey played the piano and sang. She was accompanied on the guitar by a good friend of hers. My cousin Jana gave a speech. I am very proud of them, and I know that my great-grandma is too. My step-grandma also sang with a trio that she sings with. They sang a song my grandma asked them to sing. My great-uncle Lloyd delivered the message. I am sure that is a hard thing to do to preach at the funeral of a parent, but he did a wonderful job.

We were wondering about the fire codes with the amount of people that were packed into the small country church. She was a tiny little woman who touched the lives of many. I thought it was amazing to know that she was the last charter member of their church. Talking with my grandpa and daddy, and listening to my uncle Lloyd's sermon, there is no doubt in my mind that she was ready to go be with the Lord. My only regret is not going down to see her like I had been planning. I feel guilty because I know that she has been ready, and that it made her so happy to see me and Allisyn.

I will never get the smile and the way she would always say, "Why, it's my little Joy." I haven't been smaller than her in years. She maybe came up to my shoulder, but I was always her "little Joy." She always said that Allisyn was the most beautiful baby. She also always commented that she had never seen such a better behaved baby. This always meant a lot to me because she has a lot of great and great-great grandkids! It will be very hard for me going out to the farm and not being able to go and see her, but I am so thankful that she is such a better place. I know her last little while here on earth was not pleasant and now she is not suffering.

Friday, Allisyn and I got to spend the day with my daddy and grandpa. My uncle had some puppies and a baby lamb that Alli got to play with. I got some really cute pictures that I will try to put up soon. She just thought it was the best thing in the world. Then Pap-paw (my dad) went and got one of his horses! She got to sit on him a few times and they led him around the yard a little bit with her on him. OH MY!! She had a blast.

My brother-in-law Chris, his wife Karen, and other BIL Steve came up this weekend to help us try and finish the baseboards and such. Surprisingly enough Allisyn has been sleeping through all the hammering going on. She is starting to wake up now, so I'm going to wrap this up.

Happy Birthday Grandma!! We love you and are glad you are up singing in heaven!!

No comments: